After a long dissuasion about food with some clients i was tasked with finding a healthy recipe for a curry. i will admit with this i am only looking at the curry its self i did serve this with rice with my friend but i am looking into an alternative as you read this. so long story short over i was put to task with this meal. now i am not a fan of currys nor am i a man that can handle spice but this was great!!!! (minus the losing my tastebuds in the heat). It took about 1 hour total prep and cooking time, but make enough you could take it to work and reheat it (could end up saving you wasting your lunch going to get something).
What you need:
- 2 chicken breasts (approx 350g), cut into small pieces
- 1 large or 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g tinned tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of ghee or oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder (add more if you like extra heat!)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garam masala
- small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- salt to taste
How to cook it:
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Cook the seeds until they start to splutter.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is soft.
- Now add the fresh chilli, ginger and garlic and cook until the onion is starting to brown.
- Add the turmeric, chilli powder and ground coriander.
- Cook for about a minute, then add the chicken.
- Stir fry the chicken in the spices for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the salt to taste.
- Add a cup of water and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the water has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- At the end of cooking, add the garam masala and fresh coriander and stir well into the curry.
- Serve immediately, although this is also great reheated on another day.
This was enough for 2 people and all the items were really easy to get from shops and that. I’m really pleased how this came out and it has more than likely added a meal to my range of cooking choices.